Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Psalm 1 (by Karis and Karlie)

While we really enjoyed doing our scripture verses last year, and had even more fun with our "questions," I was recently inspired to try to memorize longer passages of scripture with our little family. But where to start? When some of our church family took part in a mission trip to Ethiopia last summer, they learned that before an Ethiopian in that village was given a Bible, they had to be able to recite the following passages: Psalms 1 and 23, John 3:1-21 and 14:1-14, 1 Corinthians 13, Philippians 4:4-8, Ephesians 6:1-4, and 2 sections of James .

So I decided that was where we would start as well. We have started adding one more line of scripture each night during our bedtime routine of singing, Bible stories, and prayer. I am blogging about this to kind of keep me accountable in doing this with my family... hopefully we will be able to post a new video every other week or so of a new chapter of Scripture learned.

I have been amazed at how quickly little ones memorize scripture... they actually do better than Mark and I and are constantly correcting us when we make a mistake :) This is a video of them saying Psalm 1 -- you will notice that they are much more familiar with the 1st part because we have said it so often, but they still need some cues for the last part. But that is ok, because each night that we say it, they remember more and more! Oh and the best part is that they really enjoy it! And at random times during the day, I will hear Karlie tell her My-na baby, "how blessed is the man....."



1 comment:

Leah said...

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!