Tuesday, May 24, 2011

4 Years Old!

We had a very special birthday at our house this weekend -- Karis turned 4 years old! I seriously cannot believe that I am now the mother of a preschooler! I taught preschool when I was pregnant with Karis and really never thought that I'd have one of those crazy people... but this 4-year old brings such joy to my life that I can hardly believe I'm lucky enough to be her Mama! (Ok, enough sentimentality; I'll post about how wonderful she is another day :) On to the party...


Karis was determined to have a carrot castle cake. Where she got that idea, I'll never know, because she has never watched any princess movies or anything like that. But a castle it had to be! So we gave it our best shot. And in case you were wondering, I used my grandmother's special carrot cake recipe but replaced the sugar with sucanat and the vegetable oil with butter.
Karis was pretty excited about it when she woke up from her nap and saw it on the table! She had helped me make it, but when she went to sleep, it was just one square cake and a bread pan cake. My Mom and I put it together while she was napping :)
Mark had acquired an extra chocolate cake at work, and he brought it home for the party because we were expecting several families to join us for a birthday cookout! Karis had picked out some special sprinkles for her cake, so she and Karlie decorated them both.
So excited and waiting for her cousins to come!
Loving on her baby sister...
Apparently big 4-year olds can still fit in the Bumbo!
And 2-year olds as well...
Cademon kept wanting to attack Abbi while Karis opened presents
Karis was was excited about some pink accessories for her bike!
Showing off the special crown she made with Grandma...
Papa brought all the kids airplanes and Mark was helping Karlie fly hers
All the cousins were so excited about Karis' new pool! (And me,too!) And yes, we got the exact same one from Walmart that we got last year. It is perfect! (Our old one blew out of our fence and into the nearby duck pond during a big windstorm)

Karlie kept stealing Benjamin's mac and cheese at the cook-out :)
Several families from our church came to celebrate with Karis and she was soooo excited to have all the big kids to play with :)

Oh, how I love my big girl!
I wish Abbi had not been taking a nap and could have joined the family picture :)
Such a special girl!

Karlie was determined to eat the cone tower :)
Karis just smiled all afternoon long!
Yummy cake!
Karlie washed her hands in the pool :)
Exhausted Karlie got snuggles from Daddy


1 comment:

Lauren said...

I can't believe how fast they grow! She is beautiful. I love the picture of you and Mark with her. Glad you had a fun time with your birthday girl!