Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Abbi Grace at 10 weeks

I had to do a ten week update because Abbi's 2-month check-up was a little late and quite... interesting....

First of all, she is still a lovely chunk of a baby! 12 pounds, 2 ounces, which places her in the 80th percentile for weight! (Is it a bad thing that I was so excited about her great weight gain that I completely forgot her height? But it followed her growth pattern completely... I think 50%).

Secondly, that "tooth" that I thought was really weird was not a tooth at all -- it is a cyst -- uncommon, but completely harmless and will just go away when her real baby teeth actually come in. Whew!

And thirdly the pediatrician gave us a little scare about Abbi's hips and foot...
... evidently they check a baby's leg rolls under her diaper to make sure they are symmetrical to see if her hips are balanced... isn't that so odd? Third baby and I'm just finding that out, ha, ha! Well, this adorable chunky monkey has some pretty impressive rolls down there, let me tell you! Oh, they are so cute! But the doc was a little concerned that one of them was fatter than the other. And then one of Abbi's feet was not as flexible as the other and turned in slightly. Now the foot thing was not noticeable at all to the untrained eye... I couldn't see what my pedi. saw no matter how hard I looked. But I could kind of tell that one fat roll was bigger than the other.

Now, I have to say that I LOVE my pedi. because she is usually awesome about my "natural" tendencies and refusal of lots of normal medical procedures and medicines... but she is known to be overly cautious... but I appreciate that... so I tried not to worry too much. But it was hard... thinking about a possible boot on her foot or a harness to fix her hips. That would just make her miserable.

Her orthopedic apt. wasn't for another week so I decided to take her to my chiropractor first just to see what she thought about the hip. I wouldn't take an infant to just anyone; it is quite controversial, but I love my chiropractor and trust her completely. She said that Abbi was definitely off and the first adjustment was a BIG one. And it worked! We went to the orthopedist today and he said her hip was absolutely perfect! Praise the Lord! He also said that the foot thing was barely noticeable and would resolve itself.. no need to worry about that, either! Yay!



No comments: