Friday, January 28, 2011

Some ideas for fighting viruses naturally

Whew! I think we are all finally better! So glad the flu is gone from our house! When I called my holistic care doctor to get some ideas for how to beat the flu, she gave me several suggestions that I thought I'd share with you. I couldn't try them all out because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, but I plan to stock up for next time! So here are five tips she gave me for fighting a virus (which seems to be a lot harder than an infection!)

1. Mix together two TBS apple cider vinegar with about 1/8 tsp baking soda. Drink it after it stops fizzing. Take 3 times a day.

2. Make ginger root tea -- boil water, pour over fresh ginger root and let steep like you would any other tea.

3. Make a ginger root spritzer -- extra probiotics! Let the ginger root tea ferment on the counter with whey and honey. (Sorry; she didn't give me proportions so I'll have to experiment and get back with you :)

4. Natural pain reliever -- instead of taking Tylenol which keeps your body from fighting the virus naturally, try these pills instead that not only help relieve pain but encourage your body's own immune system to fight back stronger! If you don't have all of these, just take whichever ones you have and it will still help: 1 capsule each of turmeric, ginger, and bosweilla, and two capsules of cayenne pepper.

5. Collodial Silver -- a mouthful every few hours web you are miserable!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Meg, how did you keep your fever down since it couldn't get too high with the baby? Any tips for keeping fevers down naturally?

Meg said...

Rachael,
I did as many of the natural things as possible, but unfortunately had to resort to Tylenol twice during the flu so the baby would be ok. But the bath that I mention below usually brought my temp down a good .5 degrees. And if I wasn't pregnant, I would have just let the fever go as high as it would in order to kill the virus more quickly.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Chiropractor -- if my girls have a fever because of an ear infection, I take them to the chiro and it usually breaks before we get home. I didn't do that this time, because I hated to take the highly contagious flu to my beloved chiro :) But it has definitely worked with the girls!

2. A special bath:
Ingredients:
1 cup dead sea salt
1 cup Epsom salts
1/4 cup baking soda
Euchalyptus essential oil
Lavendar essential oil
Pine essential oil

Directions: Make a hot bath and add salts and baking soda. Once the the water is run, add essential oils. Stay in until comfortable, allowing the water to cool if the fever is rising.

3. I'm not certain (because I didn't have all the ingredients to try it) but it sounded like #4 on this post would not only bring pain relief, but also bring down the fever.